Tuesday, April 15, 2014

My Hair Journey

I am the little girl that grew into a woman, but has no idea what my natural hair looks like... is this you? I remember my very first relaxer. I was maybe 9 years old when my mom decided my older sister and I needed a relaxer to make our hair more "manageable." If I knew then what I know now... I would have stomped on her toes and ran for the hills. I know you are probably thinking.. she was nine and does not remember her natural texture??? I lived the sheltered life. I did not comb/style my own hair until I was approximately 15....(gasp). The past couple of months I have dreaded going to my stylist for a touch up because I have this reoccurring group of scabs that will not heal. For those of you who are unaware of the whole relaxing process... It is far from relaxing. If you are interested in the process click the link below:

http://www.wikihow.com/Apply-a-Hair-Relaxer


If the relaxer is left on your hair too long it can create a sore on your scalp which bleeds, oozes pus, and finally turns into a scab. In my case for some reason I have had reoccurring scabs along the nape of my neck even though I have not relaxed my hair since December of 2013. I have made the decision to grow my hair naturally!!! I am excited, but yet afraid... I have a large head and I need a lot of hair to cover this big head! I am thinking about doing the big chop but I am so frightened by the idea... I have included a couple of pictures of what I would like my hair to look like... but we cannot have everything we wish for now can we?




I just want to be able to say "This is my natural hair" no matter what it looks like. So far I have changed my shampoo to a sulfate free shampoo called "Shea Moisture" I found it at my local Walmart, and I like it so far. I picked up the conditioner too made by the same brand. I found out something new about my hair after the first wash... I have what appears to be curls..... who knew? (well my mom knew...thanks mom!) I do not know what category my texture falls under, but I plan to schedule a visit with my hair stylist and get the scoop. I will also see if my hair can be cut into a style similar to the ones above. Wish me luck! Scroll down to see my progress thus far!


After a wash with sulfate free shampoo. (no dye in my hair)


My hair in a bun today for work.

No comments:

Post a Comment