Saturday, December 27, 2014

Created Protective Style

About maybe one week into my natural hair journey I knew this was going to a learning process! Boy was I right!!! Although it is a learning process it is a fun process that I genuinely enjoy.

Let us first discuss what I have been doing wrong! I was shampooing my hair as if it was still relaxed. I would just shampoo all my hair at once and I would exit the shower with an afro. A bangin afro but still an afro ha ha! This would confuse me because  when I would comb it there was not that much volume!



My usual shampoo results



I figured out that I was creating this volume by my improper shampoo method. Yesterday was the first time I sectioned off my hair and shampooed/conditioned in sections. Let me tell you this has made a world of difference! I cannot believe the retention of texture by just making this one change!






Also I have jumped on the coconut oil band wagon. I love it for conditioning my hair but do not...I repeat do not use it to seal in your moisture. All the bloggers spoke of how much it will add moisture to your hair but no one said it would grease up my darn pillow case! I swear to you I only used a very small amount! I sleep with a satin bonnet on too, but the next morning coconut oil was on my pillow case and on my neck lol! So I suggest using the coconut oil as a conditioner. Even after you rinse your hair you can still feel the moisture/oil on your tresses.



Okay back on topic. This protective style I created is pretty simple and not very time consuming. I basically created three flat twist in the back portion of my head. One flat twist on each side of my head and two strand twist for the center.

Flat twist on right side of head. I am still learning to perfect my flat twist.

Flat twist on left side. Importance of putting them on best sides was for versatility. I wanted to make sure that I could switch sides if one side started to look raggedy. I like to stretch my protective styles to last.

This picture was taken today. Never trust your husband to take a picture of your hair lol. Love him but he is no photographer. You can see two things in this picture. 1. I am no perfectionist he he 2. My texture is really starting to come into its own! I love you hair!!! 

This  one is a tad blurry, but gives you an overall view of what can be done. You do not have to do yours exactly like mine. Play with your hair! Learn every inch of it. Modify hairstyles to accentuate your assets! Make it YOU! 




The end result! 


Leave your creations in the comments! I love to see new and different hair manipulations. 









No comments:

Post a Comment