Wednesday, December 31, 2014

New Year Healthier Choices

It’s the end of 2014 and people are planning their New Year’s Resolutions. On the top of many peoples list is losing weight. Of course many of you know, losing weight is the top broken New Year’s Resolution. We all start off with the best intentions but by the time Valentines rolls around and someone that has a little more will power than us leaves their yummy box of chocolates with undefinable fillings in the office lunch room, we feel the only right thing to do is have 2 or 3 pieces to make sure we got a good one. Well the chocolate was only the beginning. We now say to ourselves well today is shot why not go for the gusto and have that yummy food I haven’t tasted since last year.  Yea cause last year was so long ago lol.  Well as we all know one cheat day goes to two cheat days and one week goes to 2 weeks. Before we know it it’s the beginning of summer and the 5 pounds we lost in January have come back and decided to bring their friend 5 more pounds. So 6 months into the New Year the only thing you lost were those cute jeans you wore last summer because they are too tight this year. Even when I didn’t officially call it a New Year’s Resolution my subconscious was still focused on weight loss, and every year I lost the fight. In 14 years I have put on 75 pounds which equals out to about 5.36 pounds a year. Which may not sound too bad and is easy for me to see why I didn’t really wake up one morning and say to myself what is going on? I love food it’s so yummy. But if we are honest food is not our problem. It’s how much we consume. If you are like me you thought yeah I’ve gone up a few sizes but it’s not a big deal I still have clothes in my closet that fit, I’m fine. Well let me tell you that is not the truth and if you really want to know how you look go see a friend or a family member that you haven’t seen in a while. Watch their reactions it will tell you all you need to know. Before you know it they will say something to you that will let you know the 75 lbs. you have put on is very noticeable and not so cute.
Losing weight and becoming healthy is something you have to want to do for yourself. You may not want to lose weight and that is fine, just make sure you are happy. Having my dad tell me the weight I put on wasn’t healthy for me at first hurt but then I had to realize one he wasn’t doing it to hurt me and second the final decision was mine to make. So I asked myself a few questions:
1)   Does the size you are make you happy? NO
2)  With the health problems you have in your family, are you making smart choices with your health? NO
3)  Are you willing to work at making better choices when it comes to your health? YES
So here we are, ready to make this life change for ourselves and no one else. We will have good days and a few bad days, but the goal is to not quit and when we do fall encourage each other to get back up and start again. This is about a life style change not a quick start to weight loss.  I don’t know about you but I don’t plan to put this hard work in to lose weight and gain it back once I stop with a quick fix weight loss plan.
We will share our tips, meal plans, exercise regimen and our journey with you. Follow our blog and leave us messages with your journey and we will be here to support you.

Good Luck & Happy New Year

It’s time to change my story, tired of repeating the same Chapter… Done… Let the Journey begin.






My best bud (aka business partner, bka sister) and I have decided to get our body, mind, and spirits in shape come 2015! We will be posting our grocery list for each week so if you would like to join we would be elated to embark on this journey with others!

I want to lose 50 lbs this year. It is a lot but I know I can do it! I accredit my weight gain to a lack of self control, a desk job, and a lack of motivation. My husband and I have decided we are ready to become parents in 2015 (or at least start the process), and I made a decision on my own to lose at least 50 pounds prior to conceiving. I know I am just going to put weight on by getting pregnant, but for me it is not just about the weight. I want to teach my  future children healthy habits...how can I not practice what I preach? Below are a few things I am restricting myself from doing.


1. No new clothing until I hit my goal of losing 50 lbs 


















My reason for no new clothes! I have sizes ranging from 8-20. These are just the hanging clothes in my master closet. I keep my suits/other hanging clothes in the guest closet.

2. Walk or jog at least 20 miles each month. I am shooting for at least 2 miles of walking or jogging 3 times a week.
3. Must complete at least 30 mins of physical activity each day..ie weight lifting, cardio, etc
4. Little to NO CARBS
5. No soda


Weekly Grocery List 

loaf of bread
eggs
2 lemons (must have)
fresh fruit (grapes, blackberries, raspberries, banana, blueberries, grapefruit, cherries, pear, strawberries)
green tea or hibiscus tea
water
diet soda (none for me but if you must only one soda a day) or unsweetened ice tea
low fat, reduced fat or fat free milk
coffee (two cups a day max! one tablespoon of sugar and a little half and half..no creamer! )
oatmeal or cream of wheat
enough lettuce to make 4 large fresh green salads
green bell peppers
cilantro
enough vegetables for 12 servings - remember 1 serving is the size of your fist
fish (swai, cod, or any other non-fatty white flesh fish)
4 cans of low sodium soup
frozen strawberries (fruit smoothies)
pasta (any shape or kind)
marinara sauce
chicken breast 
4 cucumbers
low fat salsa
plain yogurt
plain animal crackers 
cashews
peanut butter
ritz crackers 
black olives


Day 1 Meal Plan

You can follow it to the T or you can modify it for your wants/needs

Breakfast - 3 cups of uncooked oats = 1 cup of oatmeal 
1 banana
1 cup of tea

Snack 1 - 5 ritz crackers smeared with peanut butter 

Snack 2 - 30 grapes

Lunch - 1 cup of low sodium chicken noodle soup 
1 cup of green tea

3rd Meal- 1 large green salad (4 cups of greens) couple of olives, 1/2 sliced tomato with vinegar as dressing
water 

Dinner- 1 cup of water before eating 8 fl oz
2 servings of vegetables (remember fist size)
1 piece of fish
1 cup of unsweetened ice tea 

40 minutes of exercise! Challenge yourself! You can do your exercise at anytime of day! 





No comments:

Post a Comment