Friday, September 9, 2016

5 Reasons Why We Do Not Recommend Transitioning

The BIG CHOP is not for everyone. There are those who choose to gradually ease into the fabulous life of natural hood. Everyone has a unique journey in life and the way you choose to become fully natural is no different. For V there were a couple months of going back and forth with the idea of cutting off all her processed hair. When she finally made that decision she had gorgeous curls that naturally formed with ease. This inspired me to give up my own quest to transition....but my journey was completely different. My hair was chemically processed for so long that it forgot how to naturally curl. I had to retrain my hair to curl by two strand twisting and finger coiling. Below are 10 reasons why V and I prefer to big chop:


1. You cannot see your true curl pattern until those processed ends are removed.
2. It is not easy to moisturize/style two different textures. 
3. While transitioning you will wind up spending a lot of time protective styling. (braids, twists, and the list goes on...) 
4. Depending on how long your current hair is you may miss out on the TWA phase. Honestly, I yearn for my TWA some days because wash day was less stressful and time consuming in those days. 
5. Being on the fence about anything in life is never a good thing. That fear of whether you will love your natural pattern becomes greater and before you know it you have talked yourself out of going natural!

Do yourself a favor and take the plunge! Do not be afraid to love the hair that grows out of your follicles! 

No comments:

Post a Comment